Thursday, October 18, 2012

Water time!

Most children adopted from China need time to adjust to taking their clothing off and having a bath.  Elizabeth was no different.  Several attempts to lure her into the tub by demonstrating how much fun the toys and bubbles were only resulted in her bolting from the bathroom in terror.  Yesterday due to a bug situation in our room we had to switch rooms.  We really HAD to take a shower the very first thing we did when we got to our new room so as not to bring anything with us.  I held her with me in the shower while she screamed as though I was killing her.  It couldn't have lasted more than two minutes but that was enough to break her trust in me for the rest of the day.  It broke my heart to do it, but it was one of those times I just had to be Mom and do the right thing.  Today she took her sippy cup and was dripping water from it on her hand...this gave me an idea to use the sink in the bathroom and take all the time needed to move forward in baby steps.  Each step was slow and she was very nervous but then she stayed so long I had to keep lifting her out to add more warm water!!!  Another victory that I didn't expect was after her bath when I was trying to dress her she wanted nothing to do with anything more than a diaper!!  This from the child who slept in all 5 layers of clothing she arrived in that first night because undressing was terrifying to her.  Such huge milestones for such a little sweetie!!





3 comments:

  1. Love it.... Shauna loves to go naked all day and I put that down to be layered... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREE AT LAST! She was prob thinking!! Linda this girl is amazing, and you are so lucky to be able to be her Mama! She's adventurous, happy, and she has great instincts to trust you...and yes, she seriously trusts you.
    Talk about everything working out the way it's supposed to right?? XXOO for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for baby steps! Super "Yeah" for building trust. Thanks for the updated post -- I've been wondering how things are going!

    ReplyDelete